Back to School Consumer Tips
Back-to-School Tips for Students of All Ages
There are thousands of opportunities waiting for children entering school today. Someday they may become teachers, doctors, accountants, auto repair technicians, homemakers, even rocket scientists. But these young children will have one common role in their lives: they will all become consumers.
The Department of Consumer Affairs wants these young students to get a jump on their education by learning good consumer skills now.
"With all the opportunities children face today, there are nearly as many pitfalls," says Carrie Lopez, Director of the California Department of Consumer Affairs. "The Department, its Boards and Bureaus have lots of information that can be helpful to students and their parents."
Whether students are just starting kindergarten or working on their post-graduate degrees, there are a variety of helpful consumer resources available.
Parents and students can study the following consumer coursework:
- Check Those Eyes and Ears Before Starting School – Scheduling Vision and Hearing Screenings Now Could Deter Study Struggles Later
- Privacy Pointers for Parents of Kids Going Back to School and Onto the Internet
- Trying to "Find Yourself" at College? Be Sure to Avoid an "Identity Crisis"
- How to Establish -- Not Destroy -- Your Credit Rating
- Learn the ABCs of Apartment Renting
- Rest Easy: Know Your Futon, Mattress and Upholstered Furniture Facts
- A Basic Course in Successful Computer Repairs