BEAUTY AT ITS BEST
Cosmetologists are licensed and regulated in California by the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology. The Board works to ensure that cosmetologists follow State law and infection control standards.
The practice of cosmetology is all or any combination of the following:
A cosmetologist can arrange, dress, curl, wave, permanent wave, cleanse, cut, shampoo, relax, singe, bleach, tint, color, straighten, dye, brush, apply hair tonics, beautify, or otherwise treat by any means the hair of any person. Cosmetologists may apply decorative embellishments such as feathers or hair tinsel.
A cosmetologist can perform facials, apply makeup, give skin care or beautify the face, neck, arms, or upper body by use of cosmetic preparations, antiseptics, tonics, lotions, or creams. They can apply false eyelashes and perform microdermabrasion services.
A cosmetologist can massage and/or stimulate the scalp, face, neck, arms, hands, feet, or upper body.
A cosmetologist can remove superfluous hair from the body by the use of tweezers, liquids, creams, waxes, chemicals, or devices and/or appliances, which means a cosmetologist can trim, arch, or shape a client’s eyebrows with a razor device.
In the State of California a cosmetologist cannot:
- Shave a clients face
- Remove superfluous hair by the use of light waves, known as rays
- Use medium-grade or medical-grade skin exfoliates
- Use any type of laser regardless of its known health effects
- Remove moles or skin tags
In California, cosmetology services may be only legally performed by State-licensed cosmetologists in State-licensed salons and barbershops.
You do not need to be licensed by the State Board of Barbering and Cosmetology if:
- You are engaged in selling, fitting, or styling wigs or hairpieces; or
- You are a natural hair braider—provided that the service does not include shampooing, haircutting or the application of dyes, reactive chemicals, or other preparations to alter the color of the hair or to straighten, curl, or alter the structure of the hair.
Mission of the BBC
Ensuring the health and safety of California consumers by promoting ethical standards and by enforcing the laws of the beauty and barbering industry.
For questions, comments or complaints, contact the Board.
BOARD OF BARBERING AND COSMETOLOGY
2420 DEL PASO ROAD, SUITE 100
SACRAMENTO, CA 95834