Consumer Information

Californians have access to some of the most advanced health-care services available in the world. Telephone medical advice is one of these modern health-care services.

Health-care consumers should expect accurate, responsive telephone medical advice services from qualified, licensed health-care professionals, such as nurses and doctors.

Some health-care organizations may provide telephone medical advice through health-care providers located in other states. Under TMAS law, this is perfectly acceptable, as long as the business entity is registered with TMAS and the health-care professional (registered nurse, dentist, etc.) is registered and operating consistent with the laws governing their respective scopes of practice in the state within which they provide telephone medical advice services. Registered nurses must be licensed in California if they are providing telephone medical advice to a patient at a California address.

If you've had a bad experience with a provider of telephone medical advice, complete the consumer complaint form (available through the link below) and return it to the Department of Consumer Affairs at the address at the top of the form. The Department will accept complaints against a TMAS registrant, and will forward a copy of the complaint to the healing arts board that licensed the professional.

The Department of Consumer Affairs will notify you upon receipt of the complaint and tell you about the next step in the process. The Department will attempt to mediate or investigate your complaint and will notify you periodically throughout the process concerning the status of your complaint.

Depending on the severity of the complaint it can be handled several ways: a business entity may offer restitution that is acceptable to both parties; a business entity may be cited and fined for wrongdoing; and/or a business entity's registration may be formally disciplined.

Consumer Complaint Form

If you’ve had a bad experience with a provider of Telephone Medical Advice Services and you'd like to report it to TMAS, please use the following form. Please follow the delivery instructions on the form.

Complaints Against Other Health-Care Professionals

If you've had a bad experience with your health-care professional, you may wish to contact the appropriate health-care board to learn how to submit a complaint. The TMAS Web site includes links to the Web sites of various health-care boards within the California Department of Consumer Affairs.

Public Comments, Complaints, & Suggestions…

Register comments/complaints about the California Telephone Medical Advice Services Bureau – Citizen's Complaint Form.