Foreclosure/Loan Modifications

DCA does not have regulatory authority or jurisdiction over the mortgage industry, including refinancing, loan modifications and foreclosures. We would like to offer alternative options and information for possible resolution of your complaint.

Companies that offer to modify mortgage loans or refinance homes are regulated by the California Department of Real Estate (DRE). The DRE enforces real estate laws to protect consumers in the sale or lease of real property. The DRE qualifies applicants for real estate licenses, promotes professional and ethical standards in real estate brokerage, and regulates the sale or lease of subdivided property and property securities. Also, the DRE investigates complaints involving unlicensed activities or unlawful activities of real estate licensees and land sub-dividers. We recommend you contact the DRE below for assistance and to file a complaint against the business at the following:

California Department of Real Estate
320 West 4th Street, Suite 350
Los Angeles, CA 90013
(213) 620-2072

Also, we recommend you contact the California Department of Corporations, Financial Services Division (FSD), which licenses and regulates consumer and commercial lenders. Mortgage companies operate under the California Finance Lenders Law and are subject to regulations by the FSD. The law defines a finance lender as "any person who is engaged in the business of making consumer loans or making commercial loans." For your convenience, we have provided the contact information below:

Department of Business Oversight

More information about Loan Modification regulation can be found on our Consumer Wiki.

In addition, we recommend you contact the California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General (AG) to report your concerns of fraudulent and deceptive business practices. The AG's office establishes and operates projects and programs to protect consumers from fraudulent, unfair, and illegal activities that victimize consumers. The AG also works to protect consumers through the Consumer Law Section of the California Department of Justice and responds to consumer complaints through its Public Inquiry Unit. The Consumer Law Section prosecutes scam artists and fights deceptive trade practices. For more information and assistance regarding this matter or to file a complaint, please contact the AG's office directly at the following:

Office of the Attorney General - Public Inquiry Unit
Post Office Box 944255
Sacramento, CA 94244-2550
(916) 322-3360
(916) 323-5341 Fax

You may use the following link to the California AG's office to file a complaint: