Continuing Education Verification
The California Board of Accountancy (CBA) randomly selects active licensees for continuing education (CE) verification as authorized by CBA Regulation section 89 (Title 16, California Code of Regulations). The purpose of CE verification is to ensure compliance with the CBA's CE requirements at the time of active license renewal. Licensees selected for CE verification are required to submit documentation verifying a minimum of 80 hours of qualifying CE in the appropriate subject matter for the courses reported on their license renewal application. Documentation for CE verification must be submitted within the timeframe specified on the initial CE verification notification letter.
Options for Submitting Documentation for CE Verification
- Option 1: Hard Copy Documents
All hard copies of CE certificates of completion documenting the completion of the required hours of CE must be enclosed and mailed to the following address:California Board of Accountancy
Renewal and Continuing Competency Unit
2450 Venture Oaks Way, Suite 300
Sacramento, CA 95833-3291
- Option 2: Faxed Documents
The CE certificates documenting completion of the required hours of CE can be faxed directly to the CBA at the following fax number: (916) 263-3672.
- Option 3: Electronic Documents
The CE certificates documenting completion of the required hours of CE can be scanned as a PDF document and emailed directly to the CBA at the following email address: CEAudit@cba.ca.gov.
Acceptable Documentation for CE Verification
- For courses attended or completed via live, webcast, or self-study, one of the following must be submitted:
- Copy of a Certificate of completion
- The attendance record of the provider
- A notification of score
- An original grade transcript
- For teaching credit (speaker, discussion leader, or instructor), all of the following must be submitted:
- A written outline of the course
- The date(s) of presentation
- The number of actual presentation and preparation hours
- For publishing credit, all of the following must be submitted:
- Evidence from the publisher showing the title of the publication
- The date of publication
- A brief description of the contents
Participant Attendance Confirmation (PAC) Form
If a licensee selected for CE Verification does not have acceptable documentation for any of the courses claimed for CE credit on the CE Reporting Worksheet of their license renewal application, they may obtain verification by sending a PAC form to the course provider. If more than one course is taken with one provider, the courses may be combined on one form.
Complete the form by listing the courses requiring verification and by providing a signature and date. The provider will confirm attendance and submit the form directly to the CBA. It is the licensee's responsibility to mail the PAC form(s) out timely in order to allow providers adequate time to complete and return the form(s) to the CBA.