Military banner

California Renewal Waivers for Licensees on Active Duty in the Military

Per Business and Profession Code 114.3, the majority of California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) boards and bureaus are required to waive renewal requirements for members of the United States Armed Forces while on active duty status. Renewal requirements waived for United States Armed Forces members on active duty status includes renewal fees, continuing education requirements, and any other requirements as determined by the Board or Bureau. Please note certain Boards and Bureaus have laws specific to their licensing authority regarding military renewal waivers, which may include only waiving renewal fees. Please contact the licensing Board or Bureau for information and/or questions specific to your license type and applicable waivers.

To qualify for a renewal waiver, the licensee must:

  • Possess a current and valid license to practice in California; and,
  • Provide written documentation, such as military orders, that substantiates active duty status.

“Active duty” status refers to licensees in all branches of the United States Armed Forces who have full-time duty in the active military service of the United States.

Renewal requirements are only waived for the period of time the licensee is on active duty status. The licensee must notify their licensing Board or Bureau of receipt of a notice of discharge date within 60 days of receiving such a notice. (Business and Professions Code section 114.3(e))


All licensees that receive a renewal waiver may not practice privately (i.e. practice not affiliated with military orders) unless other requirements are met. Any licensee who seeks to practice privately must maintain a current license in good standing and complete all renewal requirements, even those waived under the renewal waiver.


All licensees that receive a renewal waiver and continue to practice under military service may practice under the waiver as “Military Active.” Please note that the U.S. Armed Forces may view this status as a restricted license and not allow practice without completing all renewal requirements.


Questions or requests for further information related to renewal waivers for active duty personnel, can be directed to the respective Licensing Board or Bureau. When contacting the Board, Bureau or Department, please have the license type (e.g., Registered Nurse, Security Guard, Licensed Vocational Nurse, Dental Assistant, etc.) and license number (if applicable) readily available to assist staff with your inquiry.

Board and Bureau Military Contact Information Expedited Licensure Military Spouse Temporary Licensure

Contact Us

Members of the United States Armed Forces with specific questions or requesting further information should contact their DCA licensing board or bureau.