SB/DVBE California Advocate Brochure

Priscilla Navarro, Small Business Liaison and Advocate
Contracts and Procurement Section

Our Commitment to Small Business & Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise

Our Commitment to Small Business & Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise

The California Department of Consumer Affairs aggressively seeks out business opportunities with certified Small Businesses (SB), Micro Businesses (MB), and Disabled Veteran Business Enterprises (DVBE) whenever possible. We believe that supporting California's SB and DVBE community is an integral part of stimulating the State's overall economy and we have shown this dedication time and time again by consistently surpassing the mandated minimum participations of 3% DVBE and 25% SB in our yearly contracting activity.

If you are not currently a certified SB or DVBE and would like to get more information on how to become certified, please visit the Department of General Services Office of SB/DVBE Services Certification Program for program details including eligibility requirements, benefits, the application process, outreach events, and a list of current California SB/DVBE Advocates.

For certification assistance, please contact the Office of Small Business and DVBE Services at (916) 375-4940.

The Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz)

For helpful information and business assistance go to the Governor's web site. There you will find information on how to start a business in California, local and small business resources, business news, and upcoming events.

Be a part of the community!


The California DVBE Alliance is a forum of representatives of the CA Disabled Veteran Business community that offers information and support to certified DVBE vendors.

DVBE vendors should visit for information on how to become involved in the California DVBE community.


The Small Business Advisory Council is a forum of representatives of the CA Small Business community that provide input on policies and practices that impact Small Business participation in the State contracting and procurement process.

For information or to apply for membership visit the Small Business Advisory Council.

Find contracting opportunities!


If you are a certified SB and/or DVBE vendor and would like to do business with DCA, please consider becoming a California Multiple Awards Schedule (CMAS) contractor.

DCA uses CMAS to streamline our procurement, placing orders directly with these vendors. For more information on how to become a CMAS vendor, please visit the CMAS Guide or call (916) 375-4363.


We also place solicitations on the California State Contracts Register. Sub-contractors can find contracting opportunities as well as place ads seeking work with prime contractors at no cost.

How To Do Business With the California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA)

DCA is different than most State departments in that it is comprised of several California Boards and Bureaus.

The CA Department of Consumer Affairs is divided into the following programs:

For the DCA program web sites visit:

Each Board and Bureau has its own individual needs and purchasing staff. They initiate the purchase of goods and services ranging from office supplies and IT products to consulting services and office furniture. To effectively market to DCA, you must be in communication with those purchasing staff.

Doing business with DCA is four easy steps:

  1. Contact SB Liaison, or call (916) 574-7268 to determine if DCA is a good match for your goods and/or services.
  2. Communicate with those Boards and Bureaus that may require your goods and/or services. Their contact information is available on the internet at or you may contact the SB Liaison.
  3. Provide bids whenever possible; if you do not respond to bid requests, the Boards and Bureaus may stop sending them. DCA advertises bids in the California State Contracts Register
  4. Follow-up with the SB Liaison, Boards and Bureaus from time to time to see if there are any new opportunities for your business.